Hello all, I commented on a blog today that I had just finished up a study in the book of Proverbs from the bible on Friendship. The author of the blog wrote back and asked to hear more about it.
So, I thought I would do a few posts to share what I learned from the past several weeks going through Proverbs and various other sections of the bible on what Friendship is.
So to start off is the verse for this topic: Proverbs 17:17 a friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
Establishing Good Relationships
1. Read Proverbs 13:20. What does this verse suggest about establishing relationships?
“He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.
Comments from our class=choose wisely, walk with people that are wise and make good decisions. Those that are friends with poor morals and decision making will be destroyed. Never make a friend, someone who does not love the Lord.
We become like the people with whom we associate. Choose friends who will lift you up to a higher level, who will challenge and stretch you. Conversely, making unwise choices will eventually cause harm.
2a. What imagery is suggested in Proverbs 27:17?
“Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.”
Iron sharpens iron; the idea of honing a knife. If you can visualize a small knife being drawn across a stone to sharpen the edge, help smooth out the imperfections and restore it to a true sharpness, take the dullness away.
2b. How does this apply to friendship?
Friends keep each other from foolish activities and speech….This also goes to our husbands as well as our best friends…being an encouragement and steering us….A friend should bring out the best qualities in the other person
…”People can help each other improve by their discussions, criticisms, suggestions and ideas…”
If you have no friends you need to make the effort to make friends..give of ourselves…..
~~~~~~~~~~~
I will close with this for tonight as the next section has eight parts and that is just way too much to get into this evening before bed!
Good night and be blessed!
2 comments:
Melissa
Thank you for doing this series. I'm going to read all of it, and really think about all of it.
I have a few friends that make me feel terrible, yet are Christians...and I'm really struggling with it.
And, I KNOW I need to be better about reaching out and making new friends. The right kind of friends.
But I use the "I have 7 kids" excuse...waaay too much.
Thanks again.
Looking forward to the rest of your posts!
Kathi
Hi Kathi,
You already know the truth...if they were true friends they would not make you feel terrible and two...if they were saved Christians right with the Lord, they would not make you feel terrible...they would say encouraging, uplifting words...not tear you down....or if it was criticism...it would be said in love... so you now need to decide if you are going to cut the strings....and stand firm in the word of God :)
It is not easy, and remember the Lord is most loyal friend so if you cut friends you can always lean on the Lord!!
There will be more in the series on how to be a good friend yourself...and there are ways you can be a good friend even when you have a large family and don't want to bombard the other family :)
Keep focused on your Godly example and weed out those that are bringing you down...it will only be a season and maybe the Lord is waiting for you to do some weeding to bless you with something wonderful!!! :)
Have a blessed evening.
Post a Comment