Certain people, because of their beauty, fame, or power, are likely to catch our eyes. But God has placed a hidden treasure within each one of us!
I recently read a short story that illustrates this principle of hidden treasure. Once, a man was exploring some caves by the seashore, and discovered something he didn't expect--a canvas bag full of hardened clay balls. They were fist-sized, plain, and of little worth to anyone. He concluded they were probably the result of some child's forgotten project, left to bake in the sun.
Later, as the man strolled along the beach, he began throwing the balls one at a time far out into the ocean. He thought little about his odd find until, quite by accident, he dropped one of the balls on a rock. It cracked open to reveal a precious gem - a treasure in the clay!
Excited, the man broke open his remaining stockpile and discovered that they all contained jewels--each one worth more than he could imagine. But then he remembered the greater number of balls he had thrown into the waves!
Likewise, we often don't recognize the value of people we meet every day. All we see are externals--the ordinary clay--and miss the wonderful treasure God has hidden within.
As the 4th chapter of 2nd Corinthians reminds us, "We have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us."
The next person you meet, take some time to look a little deeper for that treasure within.
2 comments:
What a beautiful illustration this is. Since I have gained weight from last year (over 50 lbs) I have felt ugly most times, like even today - I had Madi take a picture of me to send to you so you could see what I normally wear as a head covering - and then I didn't send it because I look so fat. It's because I AM. Anyway, this makes me think about things like that and how beautiful jewels may come in packages that are not always pretty or beautifully wrapped. We have to seek out that gem. I just love this vision and the illustration of what that looks like and what it means in life. I could go on and on but this was really special to me to read. Thank you for posting it!
Love, Cass
Hugs to you my dear friend. You ought to know that there is no judgement that comes from me. If you can share other information, you ought to be able to share that as well and rest in peace knowing that I will not think anything about what your weight is or isn't...I am more concerned about where your heart is with God and spiritual growth as a priority...as any good friend would be!!! Love in Christ, Me
Post a Comment