She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
Tell me the first thoughts that come to your mind when you read this. What does that verse say to you that it means?
I have been doing a study of Proverbs with my ladies class in Sunday school and this week we came upon this verse and I heard something I had never heard before regarding this specific verse.
The main consensus in class was that this Virtuous Woman is a planner, she thinks ahead and sees to the needs of her household to make sure things are always on hand...kind of like keeping your pantry stocked making sure you have on hand to make your meals, etc....back in the day oil was needed to keep the lamps glowing and it is referring to the fact that she made sure her lamp would never run out of oil at night because she had purchased oil ahead of time in case she used it up and needed to refill it. She planned ahead for the needs of her household and that was the example that was used to show that....so, while she might have kept the oil in stock and at hand, she probably made sure other things were kept on hand as well and not let to dwindle down to far as to have to make an unnecessary trip to the next village.
I think it is wonderful that the Lord has given us a godly example of a woman that was not idle, took care of herself, gave to the needy, made clothes for her family, prepared for cold weather, planned ahead for her household, was resourceful and a good shopper, did yard work, managed money and worked with her hands!! There are so many women out there that don't have role models that do or did these things at least the Lord provided a wonderful example in the bible for us all!
I am so thankful that I have a really good group of ladies that digs into these verses to find out what they mean....for years I have kind of been mentally beating myself up because I wasn't staying up late enough compared to other mom's or getting up early enough when I have had all these little ones to care for...there was such a burden lifted when I heard the meaning of this verse!!
Well, I think from what I understood in class, it was the concept that
No comments:
Post a Comment