Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself....

Pin It

Day 2 of the Hospitality study today from She Reads Truth.com  today's verses were Romans 15:1-7
and Matthew 22:36-40

---We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves....
In regards to hospitality--it is not just about having people over to my house it is also equally important to be taking a meal to those in need, those that are sick, those that are elderly, etc.
--hospitality is not a chore to cross off the list it is a desire from the heart to serve the Lord--it is not to be done with a mindset of pride but of a mindset to please, to give of yourself and time.

--let every one of us please his neighbor for his good to edification....
We very much live in a society today where interaction with our neighbors is becoming less and less polite, less tolerant, a lack of communication.

Throw out all the non-sense and start loving on these people the way Jesus would.  Drop off cookies, drop off seasonal breads and offer a lending hand while you are there.  Just go over to say hello.  Go over and invite in person.  It is ok to serve up a pot of spaghetti, or taco's etc.  It is saying I value you and want to share a meal together.

--through patience and comfort of scriptures might have hope.....
There is that word again from yesterday, patience--a second reminder to not get so tied up in the details of what the event is to look like....it is coupled today with the word comfort....."comfort of scriptures might have hope"

Hospitality, just like anything else we do, should be done seeking the Lord.  and when we apply the scriptures above, topically to this concept, we see that God's word can ease all our fears and give us comfort that all will turn out just perfect when we seek Him first.

There is no place in God's word for stress and perfectness, these two words are diabolically opposed to what Jesus is about.  I have to admit this study is just as much for me as anyone else..

I love the idea of entertaining and having people over.  I also love the idea of having an immaculate house.....now you throw in 6 children.....immaculate and children just do not fit in the same sentence....its a fact.  I recently was blessed to be able to provide a meal for our teens from church at our house.  Once the teens were there I had a wonderful time, I enjoyed myself immensely and I think the teens did as well.  However, had you seen the video tape rewind of my preparations....not only would you be laughing hysterically and falling out of your chair, but you would have seen a woman who was not seeking the Lord....one that was frazzled, stressed, panicking, an emotional wreck.....granted there were some "wrenches" that popped up that put me into a state of mental failure...lol...my husband commented that if this was the way I was going to be it was not right....and I agree...and I could list off lots of reasons as to why I was so stressed and not in the right frame of mind focused on God....the fact remains, I took my focus off of glorifying God and tried to do it on my own.....

If we think about one example of feeding the 5,000 it was bread and fish, it wasn't elaborate it was about fellowship.  If we look at the Last Supper, it was a last chance to have food together with those that were dear to His heart.  Maybe we need to not take each other for  granted that we will all be here tomorrow and instead start having people over for dinners and brunches.

--the scriptures are here to give comfort to make the job easier to give hope.  So don't look at hospitality as overwhelming and is the food going to be liked or is it presented nice enough.  Everything will be just perfect when God is at the center of the whole thing.

-that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify God.
I have already touched upon this but it bears repeating that everything we do needs to glorify God.  In and of ourselves, as much effort we put into planning and cleaning it is all for naught if God is not first and foremost.
If we go into the planning and preparing as if Jesus was the one coming to dinner (by the way, he is always there) then you can relax and enjoy......

Jesus represents Grace unimaginable, he doesn't want perfection he wants you--fully focused on him, not worrying about coordinating napkins, plates, cups and tablecloths.  His words are freeing and meant to take the burden away.

--wherefore receive ye one another as Christ also received us to the glory of God.
Christ received all of us with our imperfections and made us feel at ease, we need to do the same with each other and with ourselves.  Come and be welcome, come and relax, enjoy...Focus on the Lord and all will go well.

Matthew 22:36-40
--Thy shalt love the Lord they God with all thy heart, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it,thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

As passionate as we are about the Lord and worshipping Him, we need to put as much effort into serving Him a meal....and the Him translates to those outside our home when we invite them in....Food that is seasoned well.....Great tasting food seasoned with the conversation of the Lord.

Show the love of Jesus invite others in.  Even it its on beat up lawn chairs and stacked boxes...have a BBQ outside and let everyone stand in the shade....open our hearts open our homes to let Jesus shine through us.

1 comment:

Beloved's Redheaded Bride said...

Melissa. I liked this very much. The Lord has been showing me very many different way to provide hospitality to others the past two years. It has been an amazing training ground while being here in N.C. And, I know that since Chris is going to be the commander at the next location that means I also will be in charge of parties and hospitality. I know the Lord has prepared me for this up coming time although I am slightly nervous about the juggling aspect of it!

As a family of 7 (5 kiddos ages 10 and under, similar to yours) I think it is extra important that those we bless see that we are doing so with a joyful heart while we are in the thick of the training trenches of mother hood. I have definitely had a more looking out perspective as I have been mindful of teaching hospitality to my children.

It is just a big blessing to them as it is to me, as it is so nice to see that people appreciate the little thoughtful acts of kindness when they obviously realize I am busy in side my home. (Not that every one even understands what that is like as some do think I have all the time in the world!) But, I can only hope that it is a testimony to the testament of big families that love the Lord.