Last evening was Sloppy Joes~~
This is one of those meals that I always include on my menu for when I am short on time and / or just need a break and cook something easier...
I buy the Sloppy Joe Seasoning Mix in the grocery store near all the gravies...comes in a little packet.
I brown 1 pound of meat and drain, add the seasoning mix, 1 cup of water and 1 6oz. can of tomato paste and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
While that is cooking, I prepare the side dishes, last night we had Fettuccine Alfredo, also from a package and then I sautéed summer squash, carrots and garlic together for our veggies.
When the side dishes are done, I toast the hamburger buns in either the oven or toaster oven. I take the bottoms place the meat and sauce mixture on them and then place a slice of Mozzarella cheese on top. Place them back in the oven for about 1to 2 minutes and pull them out and serve.
Quick, simple, tummy filling, and delicious.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Updated….2012
Since I made this recipe back in 2007, I have since found a recipe on the internet for making Sloppy Joes from Scratch. The recipe can be found at the link I have provided and I have included my notes and additions in red.
2 pounds regular ground beef; drained and rinsed
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 6oz. can tomato paste
8 ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
First fry up your hamburger and onion in a large skillet. Break it up into small pieces with a fork as you fry it. Cook it until all of the pink is gone, and only gray meat remains. Drain off all the fat. Place the meat and onion in a strainer and rinse in hot tap water. Drain well.(Actually the best way is to boil the meat in water to get it really fine)
Skillet Method: Rinse the skillet. Transfer the meat and onion back into the skillet. Add the tomato sauce, ketchup, salt, pepper and chili powder. Simmer for about 20 minutes. If the mixture becomes too thick then add a little water to thin it down. Probably 1/4-cup will be enough. Spoon onto buns and serve.
Boil the meat and add the onions in with it, use a strainer to scoop the meat out of the water and then replace the meat back into a skillet. Add 1 can of tomato paste and let that heat up and caramelize and then add the tomato sauce and ketchup…I only used about ½ tsp. of chili powder and it was just right with maybe just a scoche more next time.
Makes 12 servings.
No comments:
Post a Comment