Hi all,
A New Year has arrived. I pray the last year was full of blessing for everyone and that the year to come will be even more blessed. I am so thankful for the merciful God we have that allows us these new beginnings; days, months, years. It gives us a chance to reflect, to dig deeper, to grow more as we focus on the Lord. A time to repent, to seek guidance, to set attainable goals, to re-evaluate, to separate more, etc.
In the big scheme of things though, I don’t have to worry about the month, the year, etc. I only need to focus on this day….this is the day which the Lord hath made…Psalm 118:24 and Matthew 6:34…Take therefore no thought for the morrow; for the morrow shall take thought of the things of itself. I need to live this day to the fullest for the Lord, to do my best to glorify His name in whatever area of capacity that I experience. That may be teaching, housekeeping, mothering, being a chef or “best cooker” as my children refer to me :- ), finance manager, etc.
Last year, around the first couple of weeks of the year, my husband and I sat down and made a list of things to do to get our house ready to sell. It was a great list in outline form with neat little “bullets” and sub-bullets….yada, yada, yada….and how much did we complete??? Well not nearly enough!!! I don’t think we can even say that we completed one thing entirely. We did make a good effort of cleaning out things, made some huge donations to Habitat for Humanity and Goodwill…but that was the extent. Being pregnant and trying to get rid of things….I think those two ideas aren’t meant to go together!!
So the new year is here and what do we do……PUT THE HOUSE UP FOR SALE!!!!!! Yikes! Well here is the thought process….The Economy is just horrible right now and especially the housing market. We have lots of “to-do” projects to complete. Our neighbor around the corner put his house up for sale with a realtor. They didn’t have a choice, his job moved out of state. We have talked about putting our house up for sale ourselves. After mentioning it to a friend over lunch recently, my husband came home and said maybe we ought to put our house up for sale as it would help out the other neighbor and theirs being for sale might help us out!!
It just so happens that I follow Money Saving Mom and she had a guest post about a couple that had sold their house by their selves. Way back when I first read the article and all their supporting articles, I shared it with my husband and I bookmarked it!! I just love technology like that that is really helpful, bookmarks!!!! Anyhow, I mentioned the articles again, went to some websites that were suggested, came back to my husband with details and then a few Sunday’s ago, BAM we went ahead and did it!!
Part of the theory, put the house on the market with a sign in the yard and that will motivate us to get the “to-do’s” list taken care of in a hurry!!!
We figure since the housing market is in a slump and somewhat oversaturated with foreclosures, we could put it up for sale ourselves and we would be blessed if someone would be interested in buying it for a half way decent price. If the house doesn’t sale over the next year then we would only be out a relatively small amount and if the market picks up then we could hire a realtor. After all, we figure, we are capable of having a sign made, we are able to make flyers, we are able to set up an open house, etc.
Well one of the bookmarks was about how to get your house listed on the MLS listing on Realtor.com…basically you really want that as a For Sale By Owner as it gets you the most traffic, more so than just a few corner and lot signs for sale…. We sat down, made a few choices and signed up…well that listing actually gave us a broker…we didn’t realize we would get a broker, we thought we were the listing agents, etc. I guess you would call it a discount broker…we paid the flat fee and we don’t have to pay the thousands of dollars to a real-estate agent. I kind of like that idea, more money in my pocket!!
Weelllllll, who would have thought that living in a small town where you know lots of people because of your business…..that there would be ANYONE, upset at you for using a discount broker, which we didn’t realize it was in the first place. My husband calls me this evening from work that he received a TEXT, yes a text, not even an actual phone call, which I consider the cowardly way out, from a Realtor that Tim has known for several years and considers a good acquaintance and great professional relationship….
That realtor states…”I am really disappointed that you used a discount broker and didn’t give myself and so and so the business” WOW, can I just say I am shocked! Can I just say, how unprofessional that is!!! Can I just say, there is NO WAY that realtor will be getting our business when we decide to buy a house!!!! My husband knows at a minimum 8+ realtors in our town and we got to talking about how to respond, one thing that came up was how would we be able to pick the right realtor and not show favoritism. Anyhow, I put a nicely worded response together, emailed it back to my husband so that he could cut and paste it into a text or email it to the realtor.
I hope the email works and we don’t have to hear further remarks about what he can do for us, blah blah, blah….Every family has the right to keep as much money in their own pocket as possible. It wouldn’t be so bad if the realtor had said “Hey, I see you have your house for sale. I hope all goes well, and if there is anything I can do to help you out down the road if you need it, just let me know.” You know, keep the door open for future business instead of slamming it on his foot just now!!
Here is the listing: http://mlsmyhome.com/285259 that is the for sale by owner site and I should have the Realtor.com listing by Thursday. The listing is essentially the same on both sites, the only difference is that on Realtor.com it will have all the MLS details that you can print out on one page.
For the last two weeks I have been working on our Dining room. It had this plaid wall paper, floor to ceiling when we bought the house; not anything I would have ever picked out but sufficient to leave it be. Well now it has some rips and the flower border has come down so I have been removing wall paper. The wall paper is down, I need to scrub the walls, then spackle all the holes, and then sand and then paint. One of the freebies on Money Saving Mom was a free can of paint last year from True Value Hardware. At the time I picked out a soft gray color hoping to be able to use it on the dining room at some point. Hopefully it is not too dark and will look just right when I get to that point of painting. I would like to do gray walls with silver accessories with white trim. I’d like to have a silver-framed mirror on the wall you can see as you walk in from our Foyer and a few small floating shelves with silver accessories on them opposite wall that you could see in the mirror. I’ll take pictures and keep ya’ll updated.
All I need to do now is get rid of this sickness that I have so I am not quite so tired and can do a little bit more vigorous work!!
My mom asked me the other day what we were going to do if the house were to sell right away. I said well, it would be a little stressful but we would just get it packed up and take our travel trailer and go set up shop at the campground. Our ultimate goal in selling the house is so that we can buy some acreage, a minimum of 5 acres and build a house on it. If we can find a piece of property that has an old house on it that is decent enough to live in while we build that would be great. We did see one that has a house on it across town, and there are some businesses on the same street as well. What would work is we live in it to build our house and then when the house is built my husband could turn the old house into the business office….if the structure was sound enough….but all of this is just thoughts and nothing can happen until we get our house sold.
I looked into renting, in case we sell the house. I could not find anything to rent that was significantly cheaper than our house that was a house. I could find a 4br. apartment the next town over for only $310 a month but there is no playground…. no yard….do you see what I am getting out with having 6 children? I think we would all go stir crazy. At least if we sell and we live in the travel trailer at a campground….there is lots of open space, there is a playground, possibly a pool for spring time, there is a laundry mat. There is no neighbor right next you with adjoining walls and the children could ride their bikes, etc. I would much rather do that than live in an apartment for the same amount of money. Travel trailer here we come!!!!! I am just continuing to pray that the Lord’s will be done and if it is His will that a buyer come our way sooner than later all the better and if we end up having to live here longer then what a blessing to live with all the improvements that we have been putting off doing for so long!!!
I am sure there are lots of other small details that I should be mentioning about what is going on at our house but right now they are absent from my mind, so I will let ya’ll go and wish you a blessed evening and day tomorrow!!!
1 comment:
Sounds like a huge adventure. What a big decission that y'all have made. I am sure God's hand will be all over it.
I am not surprised by the relator at all though. It is a hard economy and it is my opinion that many take it not just as a business but they view it as if their job is a family working relationship with their clients.
I learned a lot about myself living in a camper those 4 months. I can't believe how much I really enjoy the simple things of homemaking. IT amplified the disappline issues in which I needed to correct with the children. I can't believe how much we can live with out as a family.
We are only home for 5 weeks before the movers come to pack us up for the move. Then, we are off to the next state for his next job. It is truly up in the air as to how long we will be in the camper at that time. I am hoping that it won't be long though.
Post a Comment