Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pumpkin Role…repost from my other blog

Pin It

Pumpkin Role....

DSC03407

Ok, so I came across this site recently called Tastespotting...quite a neat little site, they do nothing but post pictures of food and then if you like what you see it is a link to the person's website or blog and the recipe is listed....

So upon my perusal, I come across this recipe for Pumpkin Role.  Well not only did it look good but the story that went along with it had me slightly captivated....the recipe was one of those that each and every one of you have who love to cook, a recipe that you do not want to divulge the ingredients, its like your prized recipe and guaranteed to knock "their" socks off every time you serve it, its a recipe that people are constantly begging for and willing to pay you for it.....You need to read the story on her site, it will have you smiling!!!

Well this lady was willing to bare all so to speak....to the dismay of some of her commenters...in a fun way...kinda, I guess...lol

So I decided to give it a try, and it came out beautifully....presentation wise.....and actually I did receive compliments on it to the guests that I served.....but I was thinking there would be something else "to it".....

Here is the recipe followed by my thoughts =)

PUMPKIN ROLL
Adapted from Libby’s Pumpkin

Cake
3 lb+ pumpkin (baking variety, not decorative)
3 eggs, room temperature
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. (heaping) cinnamon
1/2 t. freshly grated nutmeg (Look in your spice aisle for whole nutmegs in a jar and then grate when home)
pinch of ground allspice
1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional)

Filling
8 oz. block of reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
4 T. butter or margarine, room temperature
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 c. confectioners’ sugar

To begin, bake the pumpkin to make puree. To do this, preheat the oven to 350 F and cut the pumpkin in half, top to bottom.  Scoop out the seeds with a sturdy spoon - if desired, save the seeds for munching or salads by toasting them in the oven separately.  Once seeds are removed, place pumpkin halves face down in a large baking dish, along with 1 cup of water.  Bake for approximately 90 minutes or until pumpkin flesh is very soft. 

Allow pumpkin to cool slightly before using the sturdy spoon to scoop out all the pumpkin flesh into a blender.  Process on high speed for 2 or 3 minutes until a smooth puree is formed.  Measure out a heaping 2/3 cups of pumpkin for this recipe and store the rest in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to 6 months.  Use puree in pies, cookies, casseroles, etc.

Set the oven temperature for 375 F and prepare a jelly roll pan (or a baking sheet with at least a 1/2 inch “lip” around all sides) by lining it with waxed paper and spraying with nonstick baking spray.  In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs and sugar.  Add pumpkin and mix well.  Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg before slowly incorporating into the wet ingredients.  Mix well and add chopped pecans if desired. 

Pour batter onto prepared pan and spread out into an even layer to reach all sides of the pan.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until a finger pressed lightly on top does not get covered in cake. Be careful not to over bake as you want the cake to be nice and moist. Spread out a kitchen towel and sprinkle with a little confectioners’ sugar.  Invert the pan/cake onto the towel and carefully remove the waxed paper, working from each corner towards the center.  While the cake is still hot, roll it up in the towel from one narrow end to the other.  Cool for at least 20 minutes. 

To make the filling, mix butter and cream cheese together.  Add the vanilla extract and mix again.  Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, being sure to beat out any lumps.  Once cake is cooled, unroll it from the towel and spread with filling.  Roll up again and wrap in a sheet of wax paper and then in foil.  Chill for at least an hour before slicing and serving.  Roll will keep in the fridge for at least a week and freezes very well for several months. If frozen, allow to thaw in the fridge overnight before serving. 

Recipe Owner Notes~~Secrets to the best Role....:

1)  freshly ground nutmeg (I’ve harked on this before for good reason!)  
2)  extra cinnamon
3)  room temperature eggs
4)  I can’t prove it, but the rolls I make with “egg beaters/no shells” type eggs always seem to come out better than those made with ”real” eggs.  This also makes it healthier (less fat and cholesterol), but it also detracts from the ”fresh is best” mantra, so pick your poison.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DSC03411

I did the extra Cinnamon and did the eggs at room temperature....

Now I make a "mean" Pumpkin Pie, in fact it is one of those Recipes that the recipe does not get handed out to anyone except to any daughters I have....my pie has spice and a good amount that leaves a nice punch in your mouth when you eat it but not overly much.....

I was thinking this recipe would have that as well....I think I was looking for more than what this delivered....I would make this again, but use more of the spices I use for pumpkin pie and see how that tastes instead.....

The biggest blessing of all is that this recipe got me to try doing a Jelly roll when for years I have been intimidated about the whole rolling the cake thing....lol....

No comments: