Well we’ve been planning this trip for what seems like forever, but finally were able to get things in gear about two weeks ago. The goal…….to get to Titusville, FL for the Space Shuttle Launch on Thursday, Feb. 24th!!!!
With my camping lists made out and our goal to leave on Tuesday, I did my grocery shopping for all my meals on the Friday before….well soon enough my husband is saying he wants to leave on Monday…..oh my, I had all the clothes to pack, meals to load up, not to mention get a cake made for youngest son’s birthday on Monday……well sure enough Monday arrives and by 5:30 that night we are on the road…it helps to keep your plans loosely held and know that the Lord has everything in control. We didn’t get to have cake on Monday…but it was at least in the trailer and half way frosted with frosting made in the fridge ready to go!
We start heading down through GA just traveling by whim following the river that heads all the way south and we’ll just play it by ear so to speak to find a place to stop for the night. We were hoping to get into a state park, well with the help of the Ipad, we were able to look it up and see it wasn’t even open yet for the season…. by 9:30pm we are following the GPS to find another campground and are on the right road but cannot seem to find the entrance to the campground. Thankfully, the GPS has the phone number of the campground and we call…well they are closed for the night….drats….not that it would have mattered much….we are on the right road according to the address and GPS location but at least 10 miles away from where there campground is…… One of those instances where GPS takes you to the wrong location…I have heard time and again as far as campgrounds to not rely on GPS, they always get you to the wrong spot…now I know for sure…lol….
We ended up using the refuge of a Baptist church parking lot for the night. Right off the main road with semi-trucks going by all night….but safe none-the-less, free and a very welcome site to see at 10:30pm when we finally decided it was too late to try and find a real campsite.
Tuesday morning, we loaded all the bikes back up in the trailer, had our breakfast and were on the road heading down some back country that was just so pretty, heading through Augusta, GA. We ended up taking an afternoon break here and going to the historic riverfront walk.
We found a huge dirt parking lot by the Levee system and parked the trailer and the children had a fun time running and rolling down the hill and picking dandelions.
As you look from the GA side to the South Carolina Side!!!
The top of the Levee system was a wonderful walk way and there was a Museum of sorts that happened to be closed however, there was the great, old Army Helicopter outside.
This was the first blooming tree I had seen of Spring time and when I went close to get pictures you could hear the wonderful sound of hundreds of honeybees collecting pollen!!
There was a great playground shaped like ship which the children enjoyed for a time.
A look at the South Carolina Side of the river.
The rest of the day and the rest of the trip will be in the next edition otherwise this post will be way too long and way too full of pictures!!!
5 comments:
Looks like a great trip! I'm looking forward to hearing (and seeing) more about it!
Girl, yall found some amazing spots along the way!! I love hearing every detail even from preparation to the very last detail so I can't wait for you to write more. Your children are so precious and that was a great picture of you and hubby!
XoXoXo, Cass :)
It does look lovely!!! What fun!
Finally played some catching up today! Thank you for the prayers for my migraine. It's good to have it gone right now.
Looks like your vacation was lots of fun :)
...and my, I'm wondering if you might have twins, too! hehe! Wouldn't that be excting :)
August is lovely! I spend a good bit of time there due to friends living in that area.
I look forward to seeing more pictures of your vacation. ;)
I hope you are feeling well.
Post a Comment